CASB Policy Services Team
Jeri Hodgson Fleuter, Associate Executive Director
Corina Sepulveda, Executive Assistant, Policy Services
Lynne Hunt, Policy Specialist
Kathy Shannon, Policy Counsel
CASB offers a menu of policy services designed to promote effective school board governance.
Click below to access a variety of policy resources.
- Online Policy Solutions
- CASB Core Policy Online and Online District Policy Maintenance are CASB's user-friendly online policy solutions designed for more effective policy work.
- Policy Parameters Newsletter and Updated Sample Policies
- A policy newsletter to educate school boards and district personnel about important federal, state and local policy leadership discussions and inform members of recent updates to the CASB sample policy resources.
- Special Policy Update
- A newsletter to alert members to time sensitive or hot-topic policy issues that require immediate attention of school boards and district personnel.
- Frequently requested forms/lists
- Including a list of policies required by law or highly recommended for Board policy and list of policies to distribute to students/parents annually.
As a benefit of membership, districts receive the following:
- Unlimited phone consultations with policy staff
- Sample policies on individual topics upon request
- Review of individual policies on request
- Policy Parameters Newsletter and updated sample policies
- Special Policy Updates
- Policy Manual Audit Service--a "spot check" of the board's policy manual for legally required policies, including feedback on organization and format
Dues-supported services: Free to CASB members
Core Manual Package – School Districts
A comprehensive, attorney-reviewed, sample policy manual that includes all legally required policies as well as numerous other policies addressing virtually every issue likely to arise in a public school district.
This package is recommended for boards wanting a set of policies to function as a guide to all practices. Formatted in the NSBA letter-coding system, the Core is a starting point for board policy. As with any off-the-shelf product, it is crucial that the board customize the manual. CASB will incorporate 10 local policies into the Core for you.
The manual will be provided on CD and in hard copy. The board will also receive a limited-time complimentary subscription to CASB Core Policy Online, as well as an orientation session upon request.
Core Manual Package: $3,000 (plus expenses)
Core Manual Package – BOCES
For Boards of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES), CASB partners with the Colorado BOCES Association to offer a modified version of the Core Sample Policy Manual, the BOCES Manual.
This comprehensive, attorney-reviewed, sample policy manual includes all legally required policies as well as numerous other policies addressing BOCES-specific issues.
This package is recommended for BOCES boards wanting a set of policies to function as a guide to all practices. Formatted in the NSBA letter-coding system, the Core is a starting point for board policy. As with any off-the-shelf product, it is crucial that the board customize the manual.
The manual will be provided on CD and in hard copy.
Core Manual Package – BOCES: $3,000 (plus expenses)
Policy Manual Overhaul Project
For districts with policy manuals that are out-of-date, incomplete or inconsistent with current district practices, CASB offers the Policy Manual Overhaul Project.
CASB will work with the board and staff to create a comprehensive, customized policy manual, using CASB's Core Manual as a starting point.
In this process, CASB will:
- review the manual to identify areas where policy is lacking or needs improvement
- revise policies to reflect local practices and legal requirements
- re-code policies as needed
- create a draft manual and revise it according to board feedback
- manage the project from beginning to end
At the conclusion of the project, the district will receive the final manual in electronic form, as well as a limited-time complimentary subscription to CASB Core Policy Online.
Policy Manual Overhaul--Call for current service fees
Online Policy Solutions
CASB Core Policy Online and Online District Policy Maintenance are CASB's user-friendly online policy solutions designed for more effective policy work.
- CASB Core Policy Online allows subscribers to search CASB's sample policies online anytime. The online policies include links to current state statutes.
CASB Core Policy Online: $450 per year
- The Online District Policy Maintenance service allows for transformation of a board policy manual from a cumbersome notebook into a convenient, paperless policy collection. CASB hosts the manual, links it to the district's website and performs all updates at the district's request.
Online District Policy Maintenance: Cost is based on district enrollment, call for current service fees
Policy Manual Re-coding Project
For districts not currently using the NEPN/NSBA letter codes for policies, or that use the pre-1991 letter codes, CASB will reformat the board's policy manual to the current NEPN/NSBA coding system, allowing greater ease for referencing and updating. Includes new tables of contents.
Re-coding Project: $500
Policy Training Sessions
CASB offers half-day policy training sessions on a variety of topics, including:
- how to keep your policy manual current
- policy manual orientation
- key policy areas, such as personnel policy development
Policy Training: Priced according to CASB's session fee schedule
Policy Governance® Services
For boards interested in a non-traditional policy approach, CASB provides comprehensive facilitation and consultation enabling the board to establish a new framework for effective governance under the Policy Governance model. The service includes development of policies in areas of executive limitations, governance process, board/superintendent relations, and "end results" for students. Training on engagement strategies and development of a community engagement plan are also available.
Policy Governance Services: Call for current service fees