Finding the right superintendent to lead a school district is one of the most important — and most difficult — tasks for a school board.
Since the early 1990s, CASB has offered superintendent search services to help local school boards find the best possible match for their unique district. CASB distinguishes its service from that of private consultants in two key ways:
- CASB works first and foremost for the board of education
- CASB seeks the best possible match for the distinctive needs of the district — one candidate does not fit all
In a typical superintendent search project, CASB will:
- identify and prioritize the board’s needs and wishes for a new superintendent
- engage staff and community members in a process to determine their desires for their next school district leader
- develop and distribute a promotional brochure about the position and district, and place state and national advertisements
- recruit potential candidates based on the profile identified by the board, staff and community
- provide a user-friendly online application system for all candidates work with the board to determine the best screening strategies to ensure a fair process to all candidates
- manage application files and correspondence with candidates with strict confidentiality
- work with the board to set up a complete interview process to guarantee a professional, thorough and legal interview procedure
- assist the district in working with the news media during the process
- at the board’s request, CASB will conduct a first-year performance plan session with the superintendent and board after the superintendent is hired
CASB consultants guide the board through each step of the process — with the ultimate decision made by the board. A typical superintendent search takes three months to complete, but can be shortened and/or modified to meet the district’s needs.
Interim executive search assistance
For a variety of reasons, boards sometimes choose to employ an interim superintendent. CASB is available to assist boards in finding an interim executive who can serve until the board can conduct a full search.
A CASB superintendent search consultant will meet with the board to discuss the process and furnish a list of potential interim candidates. Only meals, mileage and lodging expenses are charged for this single meeting assistance.
If the board requests more assistance with the interim process, CASB charges an hourly fee for this service. However, if the board also uses CASB to conduct a full executive search, the cost of assisting with the interim selection is included.
For a conversation about superintendent searches, contact Randy Black, 800-530-8430, 303-832-1000, email@example.com.