CASB offers a menu of policy services designed to promote effective school board governance and assist boards with their essential policy role.
Click below to access a variety of policy resources.
CASB's Online Policy Solutions are designed for more effective local policy leadership and consist of the Policy Support System and Online District Policy Maintenance.
Policy Support System
Provides a user-friendly, informative and comprehensive approach to keeping policies up-to-date and includes:
- CASB Core Policy Online - an invaluable resource that allows users to search CASB's sample policies online anytime, and includes links to current state statutes and regulations.
- Policy Parameters - a policy newsletter to inform boards and staff about changes to federal and state law and the local policy implications of such changes. In addition to explaining any new or revised legislation, rules and/or applicable case law, Policy Parameters also provides pertinent policy updates to CASB's sample policies.
- Special Policy Update - a newsletter to alert boards and staff to time sensitive or hot-topic policy issues that require immediate attention. Special Policy Update also provides pertinent policy updates to CASB's sample policies.
Transforms the board's policy manual from a cumbersome notebook or a clunky (or high-priced) web application into a user-friendly, online policy collection. CASB hosts the manual and performs all updates at the district's request. The manual is available via the CASB Website and can also be linked to the district's website.
Includes a comprehensive list of policies required by law or highly recommended for Board adoption and a list of policies to distribute to students/parents annually.
As a benefit of membership, districts receive the following:
Dues-supported services: Free to CASB members
- Unlimited phone and email consultations with policy staff
- Sample policies on individual topics upon request
- Review of individual policies upon request
- Policy Manual Audit Service – provides a spot check of the board's policy manual for legally required policies, including feedback on organization and format
Core Sample Policy Package – School Districts
A comprehensive, attorney-reviewed, sample policy manual that includes all legally required policies, as well as numerous other policies addressing virtually every issue likely to arise in a public school district.
This package is recommended for boards wanting a set of policies to function as a guide to all practices. Formatted in the NSBA letter-coding system, the Core is a starting point for board policy. As with any off-the-shelf product, it is crucial that the board customize the manual. CASB will incorporate 10 local policies into the Core for the board.
The manual will be provided in electronic format and in hard copy. The board will receive an orientation session upon request.
Core Sample Policy Package: $5,000 (plus expenses)
Core Sample Policy Package – BOCES
For Boards of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES), CASB partners with the Colorado BOCES Association to offer a modified version of the Core Sample Policy Manual, the BOCES Manual. This comprehensive, attorney-reviewed, sample policy manual includes all legally required policies as well as numerous other policies addressing BOCES-specific issues.
This package is recommended for BOCES boards wanting a set of policies to function as a guide to all practices. Formatted in the NSBA letter-coding system, the BOCES manual is a starting point for BOCES policy. As with any off-the-shelf product, it is crucial that the board customize the manual.
The manual will be provided in electronic format and in hard copy.
Core Sample Policy Package – BOCES: $5,000 (plus expenses)
Policy Manual Overhaul Project
For districts or BOCES with policy manuals that are out-of-date, incomplete or inconsistent with current practices, CASB offers the Policy Manual Overhaul Project. CASB will work with the board and staff to create a comprehensive, customized policy manual, using CASB's Core Manual as a starting point.
In this process, CASB will:
- review the policy manual to identify areas where policy is lacking or needs improvement
- revise policies to reflect local practices and legal requirements
- re-code policies as needed
- create a draft manual and revise it according to district feedback
- manage the project from beginning to end
Policy Manual Overhaul: Call for current service fees
Policy Manual Re-coding Project
For districts not currently using the NEPN/NSBA letter codes for policies, CASB will reformat the policy manual to the current NEPN/NSBA coding system, allowing greater ease for referencing and updating. Includes new tables of contents.
Re-coding project: Call for current service fees
Policy Training Sessions
CASB offers half-day policy training sessions on a variety of topics, including:
- how to keep a policy manual current
- policy manual orientation
- key policy areas, and more
Policy Governance® Services
For boards interested in a non-traditional policy approach, CASB provides comprehensive facilitation and consultation enabling the board to establish a new framework for effective governance under the Policy Governance model. The service includes development of policies in areas of executive limitations, governance process, board/superintendent relations and "end results" for students. Training on engagement strategies and development of a community engagement plan are also available.
Policy Governance Services: Call for current service fees