Board Presidents Listserv Guidelines and Rules
The Board Presidents Listserv is a discussion group designed to assist school board presidents and CASB directors in their local governing work. Member board presidents and CASB directors use this forum to share ideas, experiences and knowledge to assist them in their leadership role. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic guidelines and rules for participation.
By using this listserv, you agree that you have read and will follow the guidelines and rules set for this discussion group. You also agree to reserve listserv discussions for topics best suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience and participate in an ongoing conversation. Technical questions can be directed to Renee Combs.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with the important instructions, FAQs, guidelines and rules below. In order to preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, CASB reserves the right to reject any message for any reason and the right to suspend or terminate membership on this listserv for members who violate these guidelines and rules.
How to Use the Listserv
- Receive all listserv exchanges from the last 24 hours in one daily email: Send an email to email@example.com and type set mode digest boardpresidents in the body of the email.
- Send an email: To simultaneously send an email to all Colorado school board presidents, just send an email to BoardPresidents@casblist.org.
- Respond to an email: Click “Reply” in your email program. However, keep in mind, the message will be emailed to all listserv recipients.
- Unsubscribe from the list: To unsubscribe from this listserv, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and type unsubscribe boardpresidents in the body of the email.
Listserv members include school board presidents, CASB board of directors and CASB staff.
What do I have to do to participate?
Board presidents and CASB directors are automatically included in the listserv.
How can I unsubscribe to the list?
You may unsubscribe from the board presidents listserv any time by sending an email to email@example.com and type unsubscribe boardpresidents (don’t use quotations) in the body of the email. These instructions appear at the bottom of each listserv email.
Are these messages private?
Only school board presidents, CASB directors and CASB staff are subscribed to post messages on the board presidents listserv. Keep in mind, however, there is no restriction on members forwarding a listserv message to others. Listserv messages are automatically archived for a period of time and may be the subject of a public records request. Also, please keep in mind that emails/posts are considered a legal written communication and subject to open records requests.
Etiquette Guidelines & Rules - The Do's
- Include a signature tag on all messages. Include your name, affiliation and location.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Include only the relevant portions of the original message in your reply. Delete any header information and put your response before the original posting.
- Only send a message to the entire listserv when it contains information that everyone can benefit from.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals – not to the entire listserv. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link to the left of every message.
- Be mindful that if you send an email to the listserv, or reply to a listserv email, the “from” area shows the sender’s email address.
- Warn other listserv subscribers of lengthy messages either in the subject line or at the beginning of the message body with a line that says "Long Message."
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the listserv is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander and antitrust laws.
Etiquette Guidelines & Rules - The Don'ts
- Don't challenge or attack others. The discussions on the listserv are meant to stimulate conversation not to create contention. Let others have their say, just as you may.
- Don’t collect names or email addresses, also known as “harvesting,” to be used for contacting any listserv subscriber outside of the listserv.
- Don't post commercial messages. Contact people directly with product and service information if you believe it would help them.
- Don't post chain mail, solicitations for donations or messages that involve potential scams or hoaxes.
- Don’t post messages about official school board matters.
- Don’t include individuals who are not members of the listserv in your emails to the listserv. To protect the free exchange of ideas, it is imperative that the forum be preserved from interruptions by outside persons, groups and entities.
- The listserv is not to be used for personal political purposes, campaigning, endorsing of a political candidate or ideological rhetoric. School board elections are nonpartisan elections, and CASB does not endorse candidates, parties or political ideology.
- Your messages are not private. Don't post confidential, private or legally privileged information. Comments posted on this listserv are subject to libel, slander and antitrust laws.
- CASB and other listserv participants have the right to reproduce postings to this listserv. However, don't forward, reproduce, or further distribute postings that violate any of these Etiquette Guidelines & Rules or the Legal Disclaimer, Guidelines & Rules, below.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, harassing or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything in a listserv message that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
Legal Disclaimer, Guidelines & RulesThis listserv is provided as a service of CASB. CASB is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this listserv by others. CASB disclaims all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by CASB or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall CASB be liable for any special, indirect or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any email, posting, message, information, opinions, links, attachments or files whose distribution is related to this listserv.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants CASB and users of this listserv the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
CASB does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to CASB’s attention, CASB will take all appropriate action.
CASB reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by any of these Guidelines & Rules and to reject or remove any message for any reason.
If you have any questions, contact the listserv manager, Renee Combs.