2009 CASB Annual Convention
DVDsIf you would like DVD copies of Saturday afternoon’s General Session with Dr. Phillip Boyle or Sunday’s General Session TABOR debate with Ken DeLay and Barry Poulson, please fill out the form below and fax/mail to CASB.
DVD Order Form
Session handoutsThe slides from Dr. Boyle's governance session are available below. The slides are divided in half due to file size.
- Mark Scharenbroich, http://www.nicebike.com
- John Medina, http://www.johnmedina.com
- Phillip Boyle, http://www.leadingandgoverning.com
Share what you learnedWe encourage everyone to take what you learned and share it with your community. Discuss it in board of education meetings. Let school staff know how you are incorporating information from the Convention in your board and district work. Inform the community through newsletters, public meetings and your Web site the value of attending the CASB Convention. Be prepared to share what you and the district gain from Convention with those who might question the cost of attending.
Again thank you for attending, and if you have additional comments about your Convention experience, please contact us.
Preconvention sessions will provide you with:
- New Board Member Track, to bring new board members up-to-speed and to prepare them for the upcoming challenges.
- PR Academy Track, to build your skills in strategic communications, community engagement, and finance, elections and crisis communications.
- Student Achievement Track, to help you govern more effectively by increasing student achievement and utilizing CDE's Growth Model in a meaningful, results-oriented way.
- Superintendent Track, Larry Cuban to talk about sustainability of reform and the role that funding plays in keeping a federal, state or district reform alive and kicking.
- Key People Track, to enhance skills for superintendents' secretaries and secretaries to the board that will support their key role.
General Sessions will include:
- Mark Scharenbroich, to provide you ideas for gaining community support and strengthening board team connections.
- Dr. John Medina, to open the door to your brain, helping you understand how it can work best, and how his 12 Brain Rules can be applied to education in the classroom.
- Sunday’s session, providing an undoubtedly riveting debate on TABOR and whether it helps or hinders representative democracy.
- NEW this year – An in-depth session with Phil Boyle! In response to member requests for more opportunity to focus on important board governance work, CASB will be offering an intensive governance workshop on Saturday afternoon. Led by governance guru Phil Boyle, members will learn how to balance competing values of your constituency, address key board leadership challenges, make sustainable policy decisions through the use of practical principles and craft integrative policy solutions that satisfy many of the values of your constituents.
We hope to see you there!
Annual Convention Brochure (3.5 MB)
Convention Program (4.5 MB)
Agenda At a Glance (472 KB)
Hotel InformationThe Broadmoor Hotel reservations will be available online only at CASB’s Web site on Monday, October 5 at 9:00 a.m. The Broadmoor has agreed to offer the same hotel room rates as last year!
General Convention informationSchool District Banners (Display yours at the Convention)
CASB Student Art Exhibit
Convention Program Advertising